2040 Comprehensive Plan Update Available for Adjacent/Affected Jurisdictional Review!
Welcome to the City of Lake Elmo’s 2040 Comprehensive Plan Update project website! We’re excited you’re here and interested in the future of Lake Elmo. This website is intended to provide information regarding the development of the Comprehensive Plan update, and to keep the community informed of opportunities to participate in the process.
Why Update the City’s Comprehensive Plan now?
The Metropolitan Land Planning Act requires all cities and counties in the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area (7-counties) to adopt a Comprehensive Plan (“Plan”), and to update and amend those plans on a decennial basis. The Plan is required to comply with the Metropolitan Council’s regional system plans that include transportation (highways and transit), wastewater services, airports, parks and open space. The Plan update must be submitted to the Metropolitan Council for review and approval, and the City must adopt it by the end of 2018.
What is a Comprehensive Plan?
A Comprehensive Plan establishes a community’s long-term vision, goals, strategies and policies for guiding future changes and investments. The Plan is intended to serve as a roadmap for the City for the next 20-year planning period. The Lake Elmo Plan Update will address future land uses, housing, economic development, transportation, parks, trails, open space, natural resources and city services/facilities.
What is the Process?
The process generally involves:
- Review of existing Comprehensive Plan to determine areas to be updated
- Background Report preparation, issue identification, visioning & goal setting
- Identification of specific issues/plan components that need updating
- Facilitation of Advisory Panel (working group), community review and input opportunities
- A comprehensive update of the plan
- Plan review and adoption by the City’s Planning Commission and City Council